Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck practices law in the areas of corporate, natural resources, real estate, public policy and litigation. The firm, once referred to by the New York Times as “one of the most powerful firms in the West…,” has more than 275 attorneys and legislative consultants in offices across the western United States and in Washington, DC, and Atlantic City. Brownstein’s Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento and Orange County offices are particularly strong in natural resources and real estate, with nationally-respected practitioners in water, energy, land use and renewable energy. We routinely represent resource users, public agencies and utilities, manufacturers, companies, large landowners and developers in all aspects of their businesses. The firm works in industries ranging from gaming, hospitality, water, energy, health care, real estate, private equity and telecommunications, to technology, construction, banking and finance.
The firm seeks a Business Development Specialist to cover our firm’s California offices. While this position is primarily responsible for the Santa Barbara office, it will support the other California offices as well as support firm wide marketing initiatives and needs. The Santa Barbara Business Development Specialist will report to the firm’s California Business Development & Marketing Director as well as work closely with members of the broader Business Development and Communications teams, including the Marketing Coordinator in the firm’s Los Angeles office.
- Promote and motivate attorney engagement in business development and marketing initiatives.
- Research and implementation of a specific, targeted industry group marketing and business development plan to grow firm wide presence and market share in a particular industry.
- Collaborate with a practice area and industry team to track emerging industry trends, industry events, analyze competitors, and follow industry issues to inform firm strategy and service offerings.
- Development of proposals, pitches and responses to RFPs.
- Work with the business development team on tracking opportunities, prospects and activities.
- Proactively gather and track firm successes, referrals and business development opportunities using Microsoft Dynamics BDP database and other firm software.
- Execution and maintenance of electronic marketing communications including website updates (bios, releases, articles, publications, presentations) and the California office’s water blog.
- Coordinate business development and community relations sponsorships, memberships and conference attendance including BDP input, table/event coordination and business case and approval form submissions for geography relevant participation.
- Coordination of special projects including market rankings and award nominations.
- Coordinate with Director of Communications and media relations team on proactive media pitches, news release development, external visibility (conferences, speaking engagements), client alerts and internal communications relevant to California.
- Weekly attendance in land-use and water group business development meetings; support and advance group initiatives.
- As needed, work with the LA Marketing Coordinator to support California events including planning, email campaigns, attendance and day of execution.
- 3-5 years of experience in business development and marketing
- Knowledge of the Central Coast community, businesses and markets
- Intellectually curious and high level of discretion, responsiveness and self-motivation
- Interest in natural resources and real estate including water, land use, public policy and energy issues
- Demonstrated strength in interacting and communicating with colleagues at all levels
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented, strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Ability to prioritize and see projects through to completion in fast-paced work environment
- Knowledge of CRM and other database management programs
- Strong aptitude in Microsoft Office applications including strong Excel skills
- Knowledge of WordPress, Wix, Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Some travel for event execution and training is required
- Bachelor’s degree required
Please send cover letter and resume to Colleen Wheeler, Staff Recruiting Manager, at email@example.com.