As California navigates the challenges created by record-setting drought, Brownstein is at the forefront of water law. Attorneys in our office represent both public and private water and wastewater producers, suppliers, providers and operators, including municipalities, wholesale and retail water agencies, public utilities, industrial users, real estate and land developers, vineyards, ranchers, significant land owners and various water-related public policy organizations, in both transactional and litigation contexts. Our practice is simultaneously both local and national in scope, bringing intelligence and experience on national issues along with a sensitivity for local needs.
The Los Angeles office is also well known for its litigation, entertainment and defamation practice. We have represented corporate leaders and companies whose reputations have been publicly attacked. Our greatest successes in this area are often invisible to the public. We regularly are contacted by people and companies who are the anticipated subjects of disparaging stories in the press or other public forums. Often, our success is measured by our ability to prevent an attack on reputation before it ever happens.
We are known throughout the U.S. for our multidisciplinary real estate practice. We take a business-oriented approach to providing practical solutions to today’s real estate market challenges. We assist developers, investors, cities and other private sector clients navigate public agencies’ administrative processes to streamline land use and planning with industry-leading experience with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), Subdivision Map Act and Coastal Act, as well as the Local Agency Formation Commissions (LAFCO). Our Los Angeles office includes a highly experienced corporate finance transaction team assisting clients in real estate, technology, hospitality, manufacturing and energy with the challenges of raising capital. Recent successes include a $450 million EB-5 loan for a Los Angeles mixed use project, a $55 million EB-5 loan for a boutique hotel in Santa Barbara and a $75 million EB-5 loan for a 65-megawatt biofuels facility.
When it comes to giving back to the community, our entire office – attorneys and staff together– step up. Over the last year, we participated in:
- Los Angeles Children’s Hospital Holidays from the Heart Program – Adopted a family with a chronically ill child during the holiday season.
- Lynne Cohen Foundation – Participated in the Kickin’ Cancer 5k Walk/Run to raise funds and awareness for women and families bravely facing ovarian and breast cancer.
- OPCC Safe Haven & Daybreak Women’s Shelter – Served dinner to homeless individuals with debilitating mental illnesses.
- Children’s Institute – Assisted Children’s Institute in distributing gifts to more than 1,000 underprivileged families at its annual Winter Festival.
- Hillsides – Hosted a Board Game & Families Activities Holiday Gift Drive for children transitioning out of foster care.
- Los Angeles Children’s Hospital – Crafted cards for children admitted during Valentine’s Day.