Our employee benefits team specializes in representing multiemployer Taft-Hartley trust funds, as well as similar single employer public employee trusteed plans. We have provided legal services to collectively bargained multiemployer and single employer benefit funds for nearly forty years. Our team currently has more than 25 clients that are collectively bargained multiemployer benefit funds or that are single employer public employee trusts and provides services to numerous public employee trusts.
We enjoy a shared history with the trust funds we’ve been privileged to represent, some dating back decades, helping guide them through good economic times and bad. We work with both labor and management trustees on all the plans we represent, without either side feeling any need for additional independent trust counsel. In this model, we are able to provide legal services to our clients as true neutral legal advisors.
We ensure that all trustees, third-party administrators and service providers are aligned and working together collaboratively for the benefit of the plan participants and beneficiaries. We assist trustees in navigating any issues that arise in the development and administration of trusteed plans. Our work includes:
- Employee benefit plan design
- Plan drafting and qualification
- IRS determination letter applications
- Fiduciary duties
- Trustee meetings and advice
- IRS and DOL audit defense
- Regulatory compliance under ERISA, HIPAA, ACA, PHSA and other applicable laws
- Prosecution and defense of withdrawal liability assessments (plan and employer-side)
- ERISA claims defense and litigation
- Subrogation and third-party reimbursement actions
- Employer contribution collection litigation
Our team’s members present at the International Foundation of Employee Benefits Plans’ conferences on these issues.
We also provide an American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) panelist arbitrator for withdrawal liability cases under the Multiemployer Pension Plan Amendments Act (“MPPAA”).